Sinus infection after a cold or flu can be very distressing and if not treated effectively can become chronic.
The first thing to do to ease the discomfort is to find relief for the ongoing congestion.
The action of Evening primrose Oil is to act as a mild anti-inflammatory, therefore where the problem is relatively mild, I find that Evening Primrose oil can help relieve much of the congestion in the facial sinuses.
Evening Primrose Oil does need to be taken in sufficient quantity, usually 3000 mg at least twice daily.
If the situation is quite severe, then I find that Quercetin plus bio-flavoniods work very well. The dosage needs to be about 500 mg two to three times daily. Quercetin works by inhibiting histamine release. It is also anti-inflammatory and anti-viral.
Go to On-line Shop to order organic Evening primrose oil or Quercetin
The next step is to treat the infection.
Firstly, take Colloidal minerals, at least 1tbsp daily to help build the body’s immunity. These contain Zinc in good quantities which has direct anti-viral activity and is essential for immune system function.
Secondly, Golden Seal as it is a most effective herbal for acute bacterial sinus infection. Dose 500mg two to three times daily for ten days only.
Thirdly, obtain some Propolis extract (not the lozenges**) and put 1-2 drops directly on the back of the throat 2-3 times daily. If you dislike the taste, follow it with a mouthful of water. It is safe to swallow as it is also a very effective method of boosting the immune system.
It may also be used diluted as a gargle but often this is not direct enough to stop an infection in its tracks.
Propolis is an excellent antibiotic for any mouth/throat infection and especially for the gums as it tends to ‘stick’ and not wash off directly.
However it does stain if dropped onto anything and can be very difficult to
remove so use it carefully, it’s worth the effort!
Use the Contact us page if wanting to order Propolis extract or Golden seal.
Other treatments can include:
– Vitamin C, which has been shown to shorten the duration of a cold and can also help relieve sinus symptoms, Take a dose of about 500mg – 1000mg every 2 hours.
– Drink large amounts of fluids.
– Avoid excess sugar consumption.
– Eliminate foods such as dairy which can increase mucus production.
– Take extra vitamin A (cod liver oil) can help especially if the lips are dry.
– Then of course REST. This is often the most difficult part of the treatment, but important and can make the difference between failure and success.