Manic Depression as I understand it is a condition of imbalance in the chemical make-up of the brain.
It tends to be an intermittent disorder associated with profound altered mood states. These states can vary from extreme depression, hopelessness and despair to extreme ‘manic’ hyperactivity and irritability.
As stress is a common triggering factor Naturopathic treatment often revolves around reducing the effect of stress and the concept of normalization of brain function.
Often the lean is towards the effect of chemical imbalance due to food or chemical insensitivities. It is a good idea to have checks for food intolerances and chemical toxicity – especially mercury or lead.
The usual type of treatment recommended would be:
– Remove all chemicals, colour, preservatives, sugar, coffee etc. from the diet and greatly increase RAW ORGANIC FOODS.
– Use food enzymes with each meal.
– Increase all minerals. Colloidal minerals work very well. These should help balance mineral levels that can be decreased or imbalanced by Lithium use.
See page on ‘Minerals – facts’ and ‘Minerals – why we need to supplement’.
– Check for chemical sensitivity, if present, have toxins removed Homoeopathically.
– Have any amalgam fillings removed in the correct manner.
– Take a course of Glutathione, which will help remove any heavy metals from the body, especially Lead and Mercury.
– Increase intake of anti-oxidants, i.e. Vitamin C, E, Zinc, Selenium etc.
– Also Bioflavonoids, Rutin and Quercetin. Zinc and Selenium will also help remove heavy metals and other toxins.
– Use nervine herbs such as Hypericum (St. John’s Wort) or Oats if necessary
– Use Evening Primrose Oil in relatively high doses, often good results can be obtained by using 3000mg two or three times daily.
Watch for the ‘cycle’, your nerves will fluctuate with the menstrual cycle regardless of age. Evening Primrose Oil often very easily rectifies an either depressive or anxiety state.
Use Organic Evening primrose where possible.
– Add more fish oils or Omega 3 to the diet.
Go to On-line shop for organic Evening Primrose oil and Fish oils.